This article is about Interesting Facts about Tamil Nadu. It is all about the General Knowledge Facts about Tamil Nadu such as Historical facts, Government of Odisha, National parks & Wildlife Sanctuaries, State symbols, Famous personalities and more. It also covers Top GK Quiz Questions and Answers about Tamil Nadu.
This article is helpful for aspirants of various competitive exams such as bank and Government exams.
Brief Introduction about Tamil Nadu:
About Tamil Nadu – The State of Tamil Nadu lies in the southernmost part of India. Its official and widely spoken language is Tamil. There are 32 districts present in Tamil Nadu. Chennai formerly known as Madras is the Capital City of Tamil Nadu. Also, Chennai is the largest city in the state. The motto of the State is ‘Truth alone Triumph’. Agriculture is the main occupation of the people. This state is the largest producer of banana, turmeric, tapioca and second largest producer of Mango, Coconut, and groundnut.
Government of Tamil Nadu:
- Governor – Banwari Lal Purohit
- Chief Minister – Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- High Court – Madras High Court
State Symbols :
- Dance – Bharathanatiyam
- Animal – Nilgiri Tahr
- Bird – Emerald Dove
- Tree – Palm Tree
- Flower – Gloriosa Lily
- Sport – Kabbadi
- Grizzled Squirrel Wildlife Sanctuary
- Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kalakaadu Mudanthurai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kanyakumari Wildlife Sanctuary
- Sathyamangalam Wildlife Sanctuary
- Indira Gandhi National Park
- Mudumalai National Park
- Mukurthi National Park
- Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park
- Guindy National Park
- Kodaikanal Wildlife Sanctuary
- The Gulf of Mannar Biosphere Reserve
- Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve
- Agasthiyamalai Biosphere Reserve
World Heritage Sites in Tamil Nadu:
- Brihdeeswarar Temple at Thanjavur
- Gangaikonda Cholapuram Temple at Jayakondam
- Airavateswara Temple at Darasuram
- Monuments of Mahabalipuram at Chennai
Rivers and Dams:
- Aliyar Dam – Aliyar River
- Amaravathi Dam – Amaravati River
- Bhavanisagar Dam – Bhavani River
- Grand Anicut Dam (Kallanai) – Cauvery River
- Mettur Dam – Cauvery River
- Sathanur Dam – Pennaiyaru River
- Pechiparai Dam – Kodayar River
- Mukkadal Dam – Vambaru River
- Vaigai Dam – Vaigai River
Famous Places in Tamil Nadu:
- Marina Beach, world’s second largest beach is located in Chennai the capital of Tamil Nadu.
- Meenakshi Amman Temple is a Hindu temple located on the southern bank of the Vaigai River in the temple city of Madurai. It was on the list of top 30 nominees for the “New Seven Wonders of the World”.
- Kanyakumari beach has its own importance wherethe Bay of Bengal, Arabian sea and Indian ocean meets.
- Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Gandhi Museum, Thanjavur Temple are other famous places.
- Bharat Natyan is the popular traditional dance of the state.
- Kolattam, Karagam, and Mayilattam are famous folk dances.
Famous Personalities in Tamil Nadu:
- Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam, 11th President of India was born and raised in Tamil Nadu.
- Sir C.V Raman was a known Indian Physicist, won Nobel prize in Physics.
- The Great Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan who made significant contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, and continued fractions was born in Erode,Tamil Nadu.
- M.S. Subbulakshmi was a famous carnatic vocalist belongs to Tamil Nadu. She was the first musician to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
- Viswanathan Anand origin of Tamil Nadu, is an Indian chess Grandmaster and former World Chess Champion.
- Venkatraman Ramakrishnan is an Indian structural biologist, who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- MS Swaminathan, Father of Green Revolution in India, belonged to Tamil Nadu.
- AR Rahman or the Mozart of Madras, the Academy Award Winner, is also from Tamil Nadu.
Nuclear Power Stations:
- Madras Atomic Power Station, Kalpakkam.
- Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, Kudankulam
Thermal Power Stations:
- Neyveli Thermal Power Station, Cuddalore.
- Mettur Thermal Power Station, Salem.
- Ennore Thermal Power Station, Chennai.
- Major Ports – Madras & Tuticorin
- Tirukkural, which was written nearly two millennia ago portrays a universal outlook.
- Tamil is the first Indian Language to attain Classical Language Status
- Tamil Nadu is often referred to as ‘a land of temples’ and Tamils are proud of the religious traditions and follow them strictly.
- The World’s First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara temple at Tanjavur in Tamil Nadu.
- The M. A. Chidambaram Stadium or Chepauk Stadium is a cricket stadium in Chennai. The stadium was established in 1916 and it the oldest continuously used cricket stadium in the country.
TamilNadu General Knowledge Questions and Answers
We have compiled some important frequently asked questions related to Tamilnadu GK with Answers
1. Which Chief minister have been appointed maximum number of times ?
(A) M Karunanidhi (B) M G Ramachandran (C) J Jayalalithaa (D) C Raja gopalachari (Ans: A)
2. Tamilnadu Capital City Chennai is formerly known as ?
(A) Madras (B) Chennapur (C) Chennapatti (D) None of these (Ans : A)
3. What is the area of Tamil Nadu?
(A) 50,215 sq. mi. (B) 77,857 sq. mi. (C) 36,523 sq. mi. (D) 28,412 sq. mi. (Ans : A)
4. Total Number of Districts of Tamilnadu state ?
(A) 34 (B) 32 (C) 28 (D) 30 (Ans : B)
5. Number of International Airports in Tamilnadu?
(A) 3 (B) 5 (C) 4 (D) 2 (Ans : C)
6. Which water body is to the east of Tamil Nadu?
(A) Gulf of Kutch (B) Bay of Bengal (C) Gulf of Cambay (D) Arabian Sea (Ans: B)
7. Which state is to the west of Tamil Nadu?
(A) Orissa (B) Kerala (C) Maharashtra (D) Nagaland (Ans: B)
8. Which ocean is to the south of Tamil Nadu?
(A) Atlantic (B) Pacific (C) Indian (D) Antarctic (Ans : C)
9. Which strait separates Tamil Nadu from Sri Lanka?
(A) Cook (B) Torres (C) Davis (D) Palk (Ans : D)
10. How was Tamil Nadu formerly known?
(A) Madras (B) Ootacamund (C) Golconda (D) Vanga (Ans: A)
11. Which is the southernmost point of Tamil Nadu?
(A) Blair Point (B) Cape Horn (C) Castle Point (D) Cape Comorin (Ans : D)
12. Which is the highest point in Tamil Nadu?
(A) Kudremukh (B) Pachmarhi (C) Doda Betta (D) Guru Peak (Ans: C)
13. Which party came to power in Tamil Nadu in 1967?
(A) CPI (B) TDP (C) PWP (D) DMK (Ans : D)
14. Who was Tamil Nadu’s first non-Congress chief minister?
(A) C. Rajagopalachari (B) M. Karunanidhi (C) C. Annadurai (D) K. Kamaraj (Ans: C)
15. What is the state fruit of Tamilnadu?
(A) Banana (B) Mango (C) Guava (D) jackfruit (Ans : D)
16. Midday meal scheme in Tamilnadu was Introduced by Which former Chief minister?
(A) K Kamraj (B) M G Ramachandran (C) M Karunanidhi (D) None of these (Ans: A)
17. The DANIDA-TNAHCP initiative of Tamil Nadu is related to which among the following sectors?
(A) Infrastructure (B) Health (C) Education (D) Industry (Ans: B)
18. Total number of Loksabha Constituencies in Tamilnadu?
(A) 42 (B) 25 (C) 36 (D) 39 (Ans : D)
19. In how many zones, the Greater Chennai Police Commissionerate has been divided in Tamil Nadu?
(A) Three (B) Four (C) Five (D) Six (Ans: B)
20. In which of the following district Indira Gandhi wildlife sanctuary & national park is located?
(A) Dharmapuri district (B) Coimbatore district (C) Karur (D) Theni (Ans: B)
21. From the following Which Public sector bank headquarters is located in Tamilnadu state?
(A) Bank of Baroda (B) Canara bank (C) Union Bank of India (D) Indian Overseas bank (Ans: B)
22. In which year, name Chennai from Madras was officially changed ?
(A) 1993 (B) 1995 (C) 1997 (D) 1998 (Ans: B)
23. In which year, Madras State was renamed as Tamilnadu?
(A) 1960 (B) 1963 (C) 1969 (D) 1972 (Ans: C)
24. What is the name of seat of Corporation of Chennai?
(A) Chelmsford Building (B) Ripon Building (C) Cornwallis Building (D) Dalhousie Building (Ans: B)
25. Vijayalaya Chola established Which of the following as new capital ?
(A) Madurai (B) Thanjavur (C) Krishnagiri (D) Tiruchi (Ans: B)
26. Koodal is old name of Which city ?
(A) Tiruppur (B) Tirunelveli (C) Madurai (D) None of these (Ans: C)
27. Which City is largest Knitwear exporter ?
(A) Salem (B) Coimbatore (C) Andipatti (D) Tirupur (Ans: C)
28. From the following Which city is called “Manchester of South India ” ?
(A) Coimbatore (B) Chennai (C) Tirunelveli (D) Namakkal (Ans: A)
29. Which of the following state is North to Tamilnadu ?
(A) Kerala (B) Karnataka (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) None of these (Ans: C)
30. What is the Rank of Tamilnadu among Indian states by area ?
(A) 14 (B) 3 (C) 9 (D) 11 (Ans: D)
31. Yercaud hill station is located in Which district ?
(A) Tiruchirappalli (B) Salem (C) Erode (D) Tirunelveli (Ans: B)
32. Theni district is split from Which district in 1997?
(A) Madurai (B) Coimbatore (C) Tiruchirappalli (D) None of these (Ans: A)
33. In 1956 there are……………….number of districts in Tamilnadu ?
(A) 19 (B) 20 (C) 24 (D) 13 (Ans: D)
34. Whose nickname is “Mango of Salem” ?
(A) K Kamaraj (B) PT Rajan (C) C Raja gopalachari (D) M Karunanidhi (Ans : C)
35. In which year Madras state was renamed as Tamilnadu ?
(A) 1952 (B) 1962 (C) 1966 (D) 1969 (Ans: D)
36. “Amma Unavagam” scheme provides?
(A) Subsidized fertilizers at low prices (B) Free Purified Water for families
(C) Subsidized food at low prices (D) Free meals for pilgrims at Temples (Ans: C)
37. Who amongst the following is acknowledged as “king Maker” ?
(A) M Karunanidhi (B) K Kamraj (C) C Rajagopalachari (D) None of these (Ans : B)
38. In Which year AIADMK party is founded ?
(A) 1967 (B) 1974 (C) 1971 (D) 1972 (Ans: D)
39. Who is the founder of AIADMK?
(A) C Annadurai (B) M G Ramachandran (C) J Jayalalithaa (D) None of these (Ans: B)
40.Which of the following dam is built on Kaveri river?
(A) Mettur dam (B) Dudhawa dam (C) Almatti dam (D) Mullaperiyar dam (Ans: A)