100 Cities and Their Nicknames
The table comprises the complete list of famous Cities of the world and their Nicknames. World Cities with Their famous Nicknames. Paris – The City of Love, The City of Light, La Ville-Lumiere Prague – The City of Hundred Spires, The Golden City, The Mother of Cities New York – The Big Apple Las Vegas – Sin City. Every city of the world has a nickname, here we are sharing famous nicknames of 100 cities.
- Paris – The City of Love, The City of Light, La Ville-Lumiere
- Prague – The City of Hundred Spires, The Golden City, The Mother of Cities
- New York – The Big Apple
- Las Vegas – Sin City
- Chicago – The Windy City
- Vancouver – The Big Smoke
- Montreal – La Belle Ville, Frenchtown, The City-Mountain
- Los Angeles – The City of Angels
- New Orleans – The Big Easy
- Philadelphia – City of Brotherly Love, Philly
- Amsterdam – Venice of the North
- Venice – La Serenissima, Bride of the Sea
- Vienna – The Imperial City
- London – The Square Mile, The Old Smoke, The Smoke
- Detroit – Motor City
- Miami – The Magic City, Little Cuba
- Memphis – Bluff City
- Petra – The Rose Red City
- Pittsburgh – Iron City
- Rome – The Eternal City, City of the Seven Hills
- Seattle – The Emerald City
- Bucharest – Little Paris
- Florence – The City of Lilies
- Barcelona – The City of Counts, The City of Gaudi
- Budapest – Pearl of the Danube
- Toronto – Queen City, Muddy York, The Big Toe
- Dublin – The Fair City
- Jerusalem – The Holy City
- Boston – The Hub
- San Francisco – Frisco
- Moscow – The Whitestone, The Forty Forties, Third Rome
- Edinburgh – Auld Reekie
- Geneva – The Peace Capital
- Rio de Janeiro – Marvelous City
- Salzburg – White City
- Mumbai – The City of Dreams
- Singapore – The Lion City
- Naples – City of the Sun
- Bologna – Red City; La Dotta, La Rossa, La Grassa (the educated, the red, the fat)
- Torino – City of Four Rivers
- Genova – The Superb
- Palermo – The Happy
- Milano – Fashion Capital of the World, The Drinkable City
- Cairo – Paris of the Nile
- Buenos Aires – Paris of the Americas, Queen of the Plata
- Ushuaia – The End of the World
- Melbourne – City by the Bay, Bleak City, Europe of Australia
- Sydney – The Harbour City
- Sao Paulo – Brazil’s Locomotive, Land of Drizzle, Sampa
- Dubrovnik – The Pearl of the Adriatic
- Helsinki – The White City of the North
- Bordeaux – City of Wine
- Nice – Angels City
- Berlin – The Grey City
- Jaipur – The Pink City
- Oslo – Tiger Town
- Warsaw – Default City, Big Village in the Middle of Nowhere
- St Petersburg – The Mind of Russia
- Madrid – El Foro, The Forum
- Athens – The City of Violet Crown
- Dallas – Big D
- Hong Kong – Pearl of the Orient
- Munich – World City with Heart
- Birmingham – The City of a Thousand Trades, Brum
- Lisbon – City With a Future
- The Hague – City of Peace and Justice
- Calcutta – City of Palaces, City of Love, City of Joy
- Beijing – The Forbidden City
- Adelaide – City of Churches
- Zagreb – Little Vienna
- Bruges – Venice of the North
- Marseille – Phocean City
- Tel Aviv – The City that Never Stops
- Bolzano – The Door to the Dolomites, The German One
- Sanremo – The City of Dreams
- Tivoli – City of Delights
- Vicenza – City of Gold
- Kuala Lumpur – Golden Triangle
- Cuernavaca – The City of Eternal Spring
- Tijuana – Television Capital of the World
- Rotterdam – Manhattan upon Meuse
- Lima – City of the Kings
- Manila – City by the Bay
- Porto – The Invincible City
- Cadiz – The Little Silver Cup
- Bilbao – El Bocho
- Zurich – Little Big City
- Kiev – The Mother of Rus’ Cities
- Honolulu – Sheltered Bay
- Macau – Oyster City
- Wroclaw – City of Hundred Bridges
- Beirut – Paris of the Middle East
- Udine – Capital of the Great War
- Ancona – Doric City
- Tehran – The City of 72 Nations
- Bangalore – The City of Gardens
- Leipzig – Bimbo Town
- Split – The Diocletian’s City
- Grenoble – Capital of the Alps
Which city is known as White City?
–Which city is called ‘White City‘ of Rajasthan? A. Bihar B. Jaipur C. Udaipur D. Jodhpur – SSC Tests – SSC Mock Papers.
Which city is known as the Boston of India?
Ahmedabad is known as the Boston of east. It is one of the most beautiful cities in India. Ahmedabad also called as Amdavad is the largest city and former capital of the western Indian state of Gujarat. It is the administrative headquarters of the Ahmedabad district and the seat of the Gujarat High Court.
What is San Francisco known as the city of?
San Francisco has several nicknames, including “The City by the Bay”, “Golden Gate City”, “Frisco”, “SF”, “San Fran“, “Fog City“, and as well as older ones like “The City that Knows How”, “Baghdad by the Bay”, “The Paris of the West”, or simply “The City”.
Why is Jaisalmer called the Golden City?
“Jaisalmer” means “the Hill Fort of Jaisal“. Jaisalmer is sometimes called the “Golden City of India” because the yellow sand and the yellow sandstone used in every architecture of the city gives a yellowish-golden tinge to the city and its surrounding area.
Which city is known as white city of India?
Jaisalmer(Brown city) – Jaipur(Pink city) – Udaipur(White city).
Which city is known as the green city?
Green City or Green Town may refer to: Gandhinagar, capital city of Gujarat state in India, known as “Green City Gandhinagar” Trivandrum, capital city of Kerala state in India, known as “Evergreen city of India”
Why is coorg called the Scotland of India?
Coorg, also known as Kodagu. Coorg is an administrative district in Karnataka and is filled with emerald green landscapes and acres of plantation. It was the British Planter community who had affectionately coined the term ‘The Scotland of India‘ for Coorg.
What is the nickname of Seattle?
A nickname can say a lot about a community — where it has been and where it is going. There’s a new Seattle emerging — one which is far distant from “Jet City” or “Queen City” or “Emerald City.”
Why is Prague called the Golden City?
Prague is a well known city because of its Gothic style Cathedral of Saint Vitus, the Tyn Cathedral, also known as Church of our Lady, and all of the beautiful towers, spires, and churches. Prague is the capital of the Czech Republic.
Why is it called Prague?
The Czech name Praha is derived from an old Slavic word, práh, which means “ford” or “rapid”, referring to the city’s origin at a crossing point of the Vltava river.