Study in Australia: Course Search and Cost, Visa and Study Advice
Australian universities are widely known for the quality of their teaching and research. Australia is a place where your quality of education is guaranteed. One shall have the opportunity to step outside the classroom and practice ones skills in real and simulated workplaces. This will give him/her a genuine advantage over other graduates.
The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act protects the rights of international students living in Australia on a student visa. It also has a strong focus on tuition and financial assurance for international students.
A student hotline (1300 363 079) has been set up through which students can raise concerns anonymously. Concerns will be collated and published on www.studyinaustralia.gov.au so all students can benefit from the information.
Study In Australia : FAQs
What is the application process for Australia?
The documents required for visa application are given below:
- Completed Student Application form.
- Completed Supplementary Questionnaire for students and postdoctoral researchers.
- Official letter of acceptance from Canadian university, college or Technical Institute.
- Certificate of Acceptance from the province of Quebec (Only if you plan to study in province of Quebec)
- TOEFL/IELTS scores if applicable
- Passport, valid for at least one year from the planned date of entry to Australia, plus valid passports of any accompanying dependants.
- Bank Draft for the applicable visa processing fees
What are the Visa application requirements?
Australian Embassy has given very clear visa guidelines. Along with submission of forms, funds have to be shown to the embassy which cover a student (and dependants in case spouse or children are accompanying) for studies, living and travel cost.
The funds to be shown can be calculated as below:
|Expenses||Per Person||Amount Required in AUD|
|Tution||Applicant||Course Fees as per the university|
|Children aged 5-18 years||AUD 8000 per year|
|Living||Applicant||AUD 18,000 per year|
|Partner||AUD 6,300 per year|
|First Child||AUD 3,600 per year|
|Each other child||AUD 2,700 per year|
|Family members||One return airfare to Australia per person|
For Calculations: 1 AUD = INR 41
Duration of the years for which funds have to be calculated and who can sponsor depends on the kind of program the student is going for.
What are the housing options available?
There are different accommodation options that can be taken by a student. Majority of students prefer living with friends in shared accommodation where they are able to share costs on rent, power, food etc. The other options available are:
- Homestay: AUD 100- AUD 300 per week
- Shared Accommodation: AUD 100 – AUD 400 per week
- Campus Accommodation: AUD 100 – AUD 275 per week
How much does Australian education cost?
The cost can be categorized on the basis of level of programs:
- Diploma Programs : AUD 8,000 – AUD 15,000 per year
- Bachelor’s Degrees: AUD 9,000 –AUD 24,000 per year
- Master’s Degrees : AUD 9,000 – AUD 25,000 per year
What are the living expenses in Australia?
On an average, an international student spends about 800 – 1000 AUD per month on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport & other costs. It is important to note that an individual’s cost may vary as per their location, course & lifestyle.
Can I work while I am studying?
An international student is allowed to work 20 hours per week once they commence their studies, during the session and during vacations they can work full time.
Scholarships programs in Australia
Some of the major scholarships programs available for international students are :
- Ashok Khurana Scholarship for Indian Students
- Australia BEL Excellence Scholarship
- Bradman Foundation Scholarship
- Curtin University Merit Scholarship for International Students in Australia
- Dr Abdul Kalam International Undergraduate Scholarship
- Edwin Munro Scholarship
- IELTS Scholarship
- Griffith University Australia UG Scholarships
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
- Michael Kasprowicz Scholarship
- NDTV Deakin Scholarships
- Padma and Hari Harilela Scholarships
- Rotary Peace Fellowships
- TOEFL Scholarship
- University of Queensland Postgraduate Coursework Scholarships
- University of Queensland Australia Women MBA Scholarships
- Harvard University MBA Scholarship
- Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships in Australia
- ANU – Study Canberra India Scholarship