Google examines roughly 200 different factors for determining page rank which is a lot! But the most important is backlinks. Backlinks have been always continued to remain one of the top factors, making them a primary form of “currency”.
According to Andrey Lipattsev, two most important link building strategy ranking factors are:
- Link’s pointing to your site
It’s fair to say if you ever expect to make any real headway with SEO, you need a link building strategy. The question is, how do you create one?
There are a lot of ways to go for link building strategy, and everyone has their opinion on which aspects you should focus on. But let’s highlight only one way that will serve as a good starting point that brings invaluable links from a variety of reputable links.
Below is the list of link building strategy :
- Compile a list of sites for link building strategy: First task is to come up with a variety of sites you want links from.
Sites vary greatly because a link from one site can be good and have incredibly high link value. On another side, it can be of no weight and result in a penalty.
You probably are aware of at least a handful of blogs, publications and other digital resources relevant to your industry. This is a good starting point for link building strategy. If you know for a fact they’re popular and get a lot of love from Google, you’ll want them to link to you.
- Analyze Competitors: Investigate your competitors and find from where they are getting their backlinks.
SEMrush is one of my favorite tools because you can unearth a ton of information within seconds. Free version is also available and can provide tons of helpful information.
Browse backlink list in SEMrush tool and look for potential sites you would also be interested in getting backlinks from. Keep in mind if they’re already linking to a competitor in your same industry/niche, there’s a good chance they would link to you as well.
- Search by Keyword: Here’s another simple technique for coming up with link-worthy sites. Search by keyword on SEMrush. Just enter a fitting keyword applicable to your demographic. Click on “search” and SEMrush will supply you a good list of resources. Can also check out by clicking on individual sites.
- Importance of Domain Diversity: When it comes to domains, diversity is a good thing.
Backlinko founds “the number of referring domains has a very strong influence on rankings. In other words, it’s better to get 10 links from 10 different sites than 10 links from the same domain”.
In return, this should have a positive impact on your SEO.
- Skyscraper It: Why anyone wants to link to your site in the first place? So, the best way is to overcome it by making a unique content and different from your competitors. Go with skyscraper technique which includes:
- Find link-worthy content
- Make something even better
- Reach out to the right people
You might also want to experiment with infographics, videos, slideshows, etc. This will also be important for inevitably gaining links from a variety of different domains.
- Match Content With relevant Sites: You should also have a nice little archive of content on your site. Now, you need to match your content with suitable sites.
- Content Site owners: The last step is to outreach process. Reach out to those website owners to see if you can get them to link to you. Writing individual emails for each and every single website isn’t usually feasible, so I suggest sticking with a script you can easily personalize. Utilize a template but personalize a few small details to fit the site you’re contacting (and so it doesn’t come across as insincere or robotic). So, the basic concept of link building strategy is a wide umbrella. Of course, not everyone will oblige you and instantly link to your site. But if you go about it the right way and have killer content, a reasonable portion of them will.
And that can make all the difference and be the catalyst for a beefy, robust link profile.