The whole administrative control of the Armed forces lies in the Ministry of Defence. Around 2 to 3 questions will be asked from Indian Defense Forces which surely makes it important for you to study the topic well for upcoming SSC, UPSC and Other Competitive Exams.
Indian Defense Forces Important Points:
- The Supreme Commander of all Indian Forces is the President of India.
- The whole administrative control of the Armed forces lies in the Ministry of Defence
- The Defence Minister (Raksha Mantri) is responsible to Parliament for all matters concerning the defence of the country.
- Indian defence system has been divided into three services –
- Air Force
Download NDA General Knowledge Questions and Answers PDF:
- Indian Army: The Indian Army is organized into seven commands:
Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir
Army Training Command
Mhow, Madhya Pradesh
South Western Command
- Indian Air Force: Indian Air Force is organised into seven commands
South Western Command
- Indian Navy: Indian Navy is organised into following commands
- Indian Coast Guard
The Coast Guard is headed by a Director General. It headquarters is based in the Capital, New Delhi. It has
- 3 Regional headquarters at Mumbai, Chennai and Port Blair
- 1 District Headquarters in each of the nine coastal states and 2 in the Union territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands.
- 4 Coast Guard Stations, one each at Vadinar, Okha, Tuticorin and Mandapam.
- It also has aerodromes in Daman and Chennai
- Air Enclaves at Goa, Kolkata and Port Blair
- Ranks of commissioned Officers
Indian Defence General knowledge Questions
Air Chief Marshal
Air Vice marshal
Indian Defense Forces: General Knowledge Question and Answers
- Who is known as the father of Indian army? Answer: Major Stringer Lawrence
2. Who is the first commander in chief of Indian Army?
Answer: Major Stringer Lawrence
3. 1st Indian to become Commander in Chief of Army?
Answer: Km kariyappa
4. Who is known as Kipper?
Answer: Km Kariyappa
5. Who is the first commander in chief of Indian air force in Independent India?
Answer: Thomas Walker Elmhirs
6. Who is the first commander in chief of Indian Navy?
Answer: R D Kathari
7. Who is the commander in chief of the Indian army when India got independence?
Answer: Robert Lockhart
8. Which is India’s first and only military base outside Indian territory?
Answer: Farkhor Air Base (Tajikistan)
9. Who is the first Field Marshal (highest rank in the Indian Army) of Independent India?
Answer: Sam Manekshaw
10. In which year Indian air force established?
Answer: 1932 October 8
11. Indian Army Day observed on?
Answer: January 15
12. Indian Airforce Day observed on?
Answer: October 8
13. Indian Navy Day observed on?
Answer: December 4
14. Which is the largest Cantonment (military area) in India?
Answer: Bathinda (and in Asia also).