Facts About Kerala
Facts About Kerala – Kerala – The God’s Own Country is socially the most advanced state in India. Kerala is the land of beauty with the long beaches, rivers with charming mountains. The health care system is highly advanced. Modern hospitals here match facilities available in developed countries.Everyone is literate here and most are High School educated.
With the Arabian Sea in the west, the Western Ghats towering 500-2700 m in the east and networked by 44 rivers, Kerala enjoys unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia.
Kerala enjoys India’s lowest infant mortality and highest life expectancy rates, the highest physical quality of life in India. Peaceful and pristine, Kerala is India’s cleanest state.
Nick Names : God’s Own Country, Spice Garden of India, Land of Coconut Trees
Government of Kerala
- Chief Minister : Oommen Chandy
- Governor : Former Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam
- Capital : Thiruvananthapuram
- Kerala High Court : Headquartered at Kochi, Ernakulam. It is also the highest court in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
- Chief Justice : Justice Ashok Bhushan
- State Animal : Indian Elephant
- State Bird : Great Hornbill
- State Fish : Pearl Spot
- State Flower : Golden Shower Tree Flower
- State Tree : Coconut Tree
Wildlife Sanctuaries (WLS)
- Aralam WLS
- Chimmony WLS
- Chinnar WLS
- Chulannur Peafowl WLS
- Idukki WLS
- Kottiyoor WLS
- Kurinjimala WLS
- Malabar WLS
- Mangalavanam Bird WLS
- Neyyar WLS
- Parambikulam WLS
- Peechi-Vazhani WLS
- Peppara WLS
- Periyar WLS
- Shendurney WLS
- Thattekad Bird WLS
- Wayanad WLS
- Anamudi Shola National Park
- Eravikulam National Park
- Mathikettan Shola National Park
- Pambadum Shola National Park
- Periyar National Park
- Silent Valley National Park
Bio Sphere Reserves
- Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve
- Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve
UNESCO Heritage Site in Kerala
- Western Ghats – Includes Sahyadri Sub-Cluster, Kudremukh Sub-Cluster, Talakaveri Sub-Cluster, Nilgiri Sub-Cluster, Anamalai Sub-Cluster, Periyar Sub-Cluster and Agasthyamalai Sub-Cluster.
Other Famous Sites
- Pallakad Fort
- Napier Museum
- Koyikkal Palace
- Koder House
- Krishna Menon Museum
- Thalassery Fort
The population is nearly equally divided among the three communities. Christianity came to this land quite early. Many believe that St. Thomas, the disciple of Jesus, came to Kerala in AD 52 and founded Christianity here.
- Assembly Seats : 140+ 1 Anglo Indian Nominee
- Lok Sabha Seats : 20+ 1 Anglo Indian Nominee
- Rajya Sabha seats : 9
Major Dances – Kathakali, Mohiniattam, Theyyam, and Thullal.
Main Festivals – Onam and Vishu
Thermal Power Plants
- Brahmapuram Power Station
- Kozhikode Power Station
- Kayamkulam Power Station
Famous Waterfalls – Athirrapally, Vazhachal, and Palaruvi
Backwaters – Alapuzha, Kollam, Veli, Kochi, and Kumarakom
Lakes – Vembanad, Kayamakulam, and Ashtamudi
Ports in Kerala
- Kochi Port – an all-weather natural harbour, is the major port present in Kerala.
- Other minor ports include Kollam Port and Vizhinjam International Seaport.
- Kerala is the only state in India where Ayurveda is still a main stream medicine.
- Female to male sex ratio is highest in India
- Kerala is a state where you can see Asian elephants very commonly.
- National Highway 47A, also known as NH 47A, is the shortest highway in the Indian Highway network. It covers a distance of 6 km (3.7 mi) between Kundannoor and Willingdon Island in Kochi, Kerala
- Elephants are entwined with Kerala’s culture from ancient times.
- Life expectancy rate in Kerala is the highest in India.
- Kerala is the single largest producer of a number of other crops like banana and ginger, besides tea and coffee in abundance.
- Worlds first Teak Plantation was in Kerala, built by the British.
- World’s Largest and Longest Teak are in Kerala.
- World’s Only Teak Museum is in Nilambur, Kerala.
- First Recorded Kingdom: Empire Chera Ruled Kerala from Vanchi.
- Coir and cashew are two large industries in Kerala. Hand-loom and bamboo-based industries are well developed.
Famous Personalities of Kerala
- Sree Narayana Guru – Great Saint of India.
- Vaikom Mohammed Basheer – Famous Writer
- V K Krishna Menon – Former Defence Minister of India and renowned Statesman.
- Kumaran Asan – Famous poet of Kerala
- Kocheril Raman Narayanan – Former President of India
- Adoor Gopalakrishnan – One of the leading lights of the New Indian Cinema
- PT Usha – Athlete
- Verghese Kurien – Father of the white revolution
- Raja Ravi Varma
- Krishna Pillai – One of the first freedom fighters of Kerala.
- Arundhati Roy – writer awarded the Booker Prize in 1997 for The God of Small Things, located in Kerala. Born in Kerala
Kerala General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
- Who was the first Chief Justice of High Court of Kerala?
(A) Justice K. T. Kosi (B) K. Sankaran (C) M. S. Menon (D) T. C. Raghvan
Answer:Justice K. T. Kosi 2. Who founded the ‘Kollam Era’ of Kerala?
(A) Rejasekhara Varman (B) Sthanu Ravi Varman (C) Aditya-I (D) Kulasekhara Alvar
3. Which was the main centre of Salt Satyagraha in Kerala?
(A) Malabar (B) Cochin (C) Travancore (D) None of these
4. Name the leader from Kerala who became the General Secretary of Indian National Congress twice.
(A) C. Sankaran Nair (B) K Madhavan Nair (C) Veluthampy Dalava (D) G. P. Pillai
Answer: G. P. Pillai
5. Which of the following Passes lies in Kerala?
(A) Palakkad (B) Borghat (C) Thalghat(D) None of these
6. Which is the highest peak of Kerala?
(A) Agasthyamalai (B) Kotamalai (C) Anaimudi (D) Dada Beta
7. Which of the following is the smallest river of Kerala?
(A) Kallai (B) Ramapuram (C) Ayiroor (D) Bangra Manjeswara
Answer: Bangra Manjeswara
8. Peerumedu received highest rainfall in Kerala is located in which district?
(A) Kannur (B) Idukki (C) Kasaragode (D) Thrissur
9. Which district of Kerala has the largest area under forest cover?
(A) Alappuzha (B) Kollam (C) Kannur (D) Idukki
10. Who was the Governor of Kerala when it came under President Rule for the first time?
(A) Ajith Prasad (B) Dr. B. Amakrisna Rao (C) V. V. Giri (D) Bhagwan Sahay
Answer: Ajith Prasad
11. Which state is the largest producer of coconut in India?
(A) Karnataka (B) Goa (C) Kerala (D) Andhra Pradesh
12. Iron ore deposits in Kerala are located in–
(A) Kozhikode (B) Kannur (C) Malappuram (D) Both A and C
Answer: Both A and C
13. Which Industrial sector in Kerala provides maximum employment?
(A) Handloom Industry (B) Coir Industry (C) Beedi Industry (D) Bamboo Industry
Answer: Coir Industry
14. Where is the wind farm power project in Kerala located?
(A) Kanjikode (B) Ramakkalmedu (C) Kayamkulam (D) Both A and B
Answer: Both A and B
15. Who is the first chief minister of Kerala to complete the tenure of 5 years?
(A) A. K. Antony (B) C. Achutha Menon (C) V. S. Achuthanandan (D) None of these
Answer: C. Achutha Menon
16. Rajeev Gandhi Grameen Vidyuthikaran Yojana in Kerala has been implemented in–
(A) 5 districts (B) 8 districts (C) 7 districts (D) 12 districts
Answer: 7 districts
17. Which district of Kerala has the lowest sex-ratio?
(A) Idukki (B) Kasargode (C) Wayanad (D) Ernakulam
18. Which pilgrim centre of Kerala is known as ‘Dwarka of South’?
(A) Sabarimala (B) Varkala (C) Thiruvananthapuram (D) Guruvayoor
19. The month of Chingam in Kerala’s calendar is from–
(A) February-March (B) June-July (C) August-September (D) November-December
20. Which festival of Kerala marks the new year?
(A) Onam (B) Vishu (C) Arattu (D) Pooram
21. Kerala Kalamandalam gained the status of a deemed university in–
(A) 2007 (B) 2005 (C) 2001 (D) 2009
22. In which district of Kerala Vembanand lake is situated?
(A) Alappuzha (B) Kochi (C) Kottayam (D) Kollam
23. Number of National Highways in Kerala are–
(A) 8 (B) 9 (C) 10 (D) 11
24. Which among the following is the major port in Kerala?
(A) Cochin (B) Vizhinjam (C) Beypore (D) Azhikkal
25. Which among the following is the embankment dam located in Kerala?
(A) Neyyar Dam (B) Mattupetty Dam (C) Parambikulam Dam (D) Peechi Dam
Answer: Parambikulam Dam
People On This Page Also Searched For