- About: Common Admission Test (CAT) is the most popular National level management entrance exam conducted by Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) for admission to 20 IIM’s and more than 100 B-schools across India. The exam is conducted and administrated by one of the IIMs on a yearly rotational basis. CAT 2018 will be conducted by IIM Calcutta.
- Purpose: The CAT score helps management course aspirants to get admission in Top Management Colleges in India. The number of applicants for CAT 2019 is expected to be more than 2 lac.
- Frequency: CAT is conducted once every year.
- PG Management Programmes: Through CAT, IIMs offer PGP, PGP-FABM, PGPEM, PGDM, EPGP PGPSM, PGPWE, PGDHRM, PGPEX, and PGPBM.
- CAT is one of the toughest competitive entrance exams conducted in India and has a success rate of 1 in 200.
- Top B-schools accept CAT Scores for admissions to various PG management courses like MBA, PGDM, etc. The Full Form of MBA is a Masters in Business Administration.
- CAT Exam is conducted every year by one of the top six IIMs. For example, IIM Kozhikode conducted CAT in the year 2012; IIM Indore conducted CAT exam in 2013 and 2014; IIM Ahmedabad conducted CAT in 2015; IIM Bangalore conducted CAT in 2016; IIM Lucknow conducted CAT exam in 2017, IIM Calcutta conducted CAT 2018 exam on November 25, 2018. It is expected that CAT 2019 exam will be conducted by IIM Kozhikode again.
- 10 Key Facts about CAT Exam?
- There are 100 questions in CAT exam
- Overall Time Limit to attempt CAT is Exam is 3 hours
- Sectional Time Limit to attempt each section is 1 hour
- Number of sections in CAT are three
- CAT exam has 70 to 75 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with 1/3 Negative Marking
- Rest other questions in CAT are of Non-MCQ Type without negative marking
- Marking Scheme in CAT is 3 marks for each correct answer
- Section-1 is on Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) with 34
- Section-2 is on Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) with 32 questions
- Section-3 is on Quantitative Ability (QA) with 34 questions.
- When to apply for CAT 2019 Exam?
CAT 2019 Exam Notification will be released by the IIMs in the last week of July in all the leading newspapers. For 2018, IIM Calcutta has released the notification for the CAT exam on July 29. The candidates who wish to seek MBA admission in one of the IIMs, have to register and apply for the CAT exam. The last date to apply for CAT 2019 exam for admission to IIMs through CAT exam is the last week of September 2019. MBAUniverse.com shares the detailed information about the CAT exam and publishes it immediately after IIMs release their CAT exam information.
- Who can appear in CAT Exam 2019? If you have one or more of following qualifications with you, you can apply and appear in CAT exam
- Completed Bachelor’s degree with the required percentage of marks, or
- Completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) with required percentage, or
- Should be in the final year of Bachelor’s degree with required percentage
- No Age bar is prescribed to register and appear in CAT exam.
- When to apply for CAT 2019 Exam?
CAT 2019 is the next CAT Exam?
With the entire schedule of this year CAT exam out, the next CAT exam will be in 2019. You can apply for next CAT exam from August to September 2019 on CAT exam website.
What is the CAT Exam Structure?
CAT is a computer-based test of 3 hours duration. IIMs release a guide and mock test one month before the CAT Exam date to apprise the CAT aspirants how to appear in CAT exam and what type of questions they will face in CAT exam.
CAT exam over the past 7 years since it was computerized in 2009 has gone for perceptible changes. Till 2008, CAT Exam was paper-pen based. Now the CAT exam format has changed as the computer-based test. Since 2015, CAT exam has remained almost similar.
CAT Eligibility overview:
- No Restriction.
- Bachelor degree. General: 50% aggregate. SC/ST/ PwD: 45% aggregate.
- Seats Reserved: SC-15%, ST- 5% NC-OBC-27%, PwD-3%.
CAT 2019 Syllabus
Subjects in CAT 2019 Syllabus:
CAT 2019 will contain Following Sections:
|CAT 2019 Syllabus|
|Verbal Ability and Data Interpretation|
|Logical & Analytical Reasoning|
Note: The syllabus for CAT changes once in every few years and the CAT administration notifies the candidates every time when there is a change.
CAT 2019 Mathematics/ Quantitative Section Syllabus:
Some of the core Syllabus concepts in Maths and Quantitative Aptitude subjects for CAT 2019 are:
|Permutation and combination|
|Percentages and its applications|
|LCM and HCF|
|Quadratic and linear equations|
|Geometry and its applications|
|Ratio and its applications|
|Numbers and its applications|
CAT 2019 English/ Verbal Section Syllabus:
Prominent Syllabus topics for CAT 2019 in this section are:
|English/Verbal Section Syllabus|
|Critical Reasoning (and its numerous applications)|
|Fill in the blanks|
|Antonyms and Synonyms|
|Reading Comprehension etc.|
CAT 2019 Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Section Syllabus:
Important Syllabus topics under Data Interpretation for CAT 2019 are:
|Pie charts etc.|
Important Syllabus topics under Analytical/Logical Reasoning for CAT 2019 are:
|Clocks and Calendars|
CAT Exam Pattern Overview
Duration : 3 hours.
Section One: 34 question, Section Two: 32 questions, Section Three: 34 questions.
Subject: Quantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Verbal & Reading Comprehension.
Marking Scheme: Correct answer gain 3 marks and wrong answer deduct 1 marks.
Maximum Marks: Section One: 102 marks, Section Two: 96 marks, Section Three: 102 marks.
Total Marks: 300 marks.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern:
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern Highlights:
|Mode of Exam||CAT 2019 exam will be conducted in Online Mode.|
|Sections in CAT 2019||3 sections (Verbal & Reading Comprehension; Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning; Quantitative Aptitude)|
|Type of Questions in CAT 2019||Multiple Type Question (MCQ)|
|The number of choices||4 choices/ alternative will be given in each question.|
|Marking scheme||+3 marks for correct answer and -1 mark for an incorrect answer will be allotted.|
|The number of questions in CAT 2019||There will be 100 questions in Cat 2019.|
|Percentage of Objective type question in CAT 2018||70% – 75%|
|Percentage of the Non-Objective type question in CAT 2018||25% – 30%|
|Exam Duration||Total time allotted for CAT 2019 examination will be 3 hours (60 minutes per section)|
|Compensatory time||Candidates in the PWD (Persons with Disability) and DA (Differently Abled) category will be given extra 20 minutes of compensatory time to write each section.|
|Timings||10:00 AM to 1:00 PM|
2:30 PM to 5:30 PM
|Language||A medium of CAT 2019 Question Paper will be English.|
CAT 2019 Subject-wise Exam Pattern:
|Sections in CAT 2019||MCQs||Non-MCQs||Total||Duration/Section||Total Marks|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||24||08||32||60 Min||96|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||24||10||34||60 Min||102|
|Quantitative Ability||24||10||34||60 Min||102|
CAT 2019 Marking Scheme:
Type of Questions: CAT 2019 paper will be having two types of questions–One will be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Another one will be Non-MCQs. Both types of questions will be carrying equal marks.
- Correct Answer: In CAT 2019, for each correct answer, a candidate will be awarded +3 marks.
- Negative marking for MCQs: In CAT 2019, there will be negative marking for MCQ type questions. For each wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
- No negative marking for Non- MCQ: There will be no negative marking for Non-MCQ type questions in CAT 2019.
|Type of Question||Correct Answer (Marks Awarded)||Incorrect Answer (Negative Marking)|
Scaling of CAT 2019 Score:
- Shortlisting Process: For shortlisting the candidate, the CAT 2019 scores (Scaled) will be converted to percentile. These scores of CAT 2019 of the candidates will be subjected to a process of normalization in order to maintain equity in comparison of performance and unbiasedness of the candidates across different test sessions.
- Normalization: The process of normalization is an established practice in CAT 2019. It is similar to those being adopted in other large educational selection tests conducted in India for comparing candidate scores across multiple forms.
Changes Retained in CAT 2019 Exam Pattern:
The CAT exam 2018 will retain the changes introduced in CAT 2017. The CAT 2019 Exam Pattern is as follows.
- Sections in the previous years: Before CAT 2017 there were two sections – Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation and Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning, but CAT 2017 had three sections, i.e., Quantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, and Verbal & Reading Comprehension. These changes, that were done in CAT 2018, will be followed in Cat 2019 also.
- Duration of Previous year CAT exam: The CAT 2019 exam duration was increased from 170 minutes to 180 minutes in 2017.
- Virtual calculator: Candidates were provided with a virtual calculator on their computer screen at the exam centre. So, this year also, in CAT 2018 calculators will be visible on the screen for making calculations easy.
CAT 2019 Application Form Details:
CAT 2019 Application Form Highlights:
|Registration||Students should register themselves on the official website of CAT 2019 registration window|
|Image Correction Window||The image correction for the CAT 2019 application form is live from 27th September 2019|
|Notification||Once the CAT 2018 registration is successful, the eligible applicants will receive an Email and SMS that contains Login credentials (User ID and Password).|
|CAT 2019 Application Dates||CAT 2019 Application Form date (Start): Date is not confirmed.|
CAT 2019 Application Form date (End): Date is not confirmed.
|Login||Candidates can use their login credentials to log in and fill the CAT 2019 Application form.|
|Mode of Payment||CAT 2019 Payment is made Online. Candidate must have a valid email address and a mobile number.|
|Mandatory information||Educational history.|
Mark sheets (10th /12th/ Degree/Diploma).
Work Experience (if you have any).
Applicable Certificates should be uploaded.
|Mandatory field||“*” (asterisk) indicates a mandatory field.|
CAT 2019 Application Fee Details:
- Application form fee: The CAT 2019 registration fee changes every year, Currently, the CAT 2019 application form fee is:
|Category||CAT 2019 Application Fee|
|For General & NC-OBC category||INR 1800/-|
|For SC/ST/PWD/DA categories||INR. 900/-|
CAT 2018 Application Form Details:
- Name of the candidate.
- Name of Father/Husband/Guardian
- Gender of Father/Husband/Guardian.
- Category (under which they will be applying).
- Communication address.
- Select the Person with disability/Differently Abled (If they fall into this category).
- Upload documents
- Passport size photograph
- Category Certificate
- PWD/PA Certificate
- Photograph and Signature:
- Upload the scanned image on CAT 2019 official website of your passport photo within the dimensions of 30mm X 45mm. A scanned image of the signature within the dimensions of 80mm X 35mm should also be uploaded.
- The documents file format should be a .jpg or .jpeg and the file size should not be more than 80KB each. The image should be clear with a minimum resolution of 150px/inch.
- The photo should not be more than 6 months old and should have a white background. Candidate will have to affix the same photo uploaded here to CAT 2020 admit card.
- NC-OBC/SC/ST Certificate: Candidates have to download the Certificate from the CAT 2019 Website. Then, enter the required information and attest signatures from the authorized authorities, self-attest it, and scan as PDF document to upload here.
- Information about PWD: Select Yes if you are a Person with disability (PWD) and select details under PWD Category of disability, disability Percentage, Wheelchair Support, and Scribe requirement.
- PWD Certificate: Candidates have to download the Certificate from CAT 2019 Website. Enter the required information, attest signatures from the authorized authorities, self-attest, and scan as PDF document to upload here.
- Final Step: After completing the CAT 2019 application form online, the candidates can click on the Save & Continue button to proceed to the next section of the CAT 2019 Application form.
CAT 2019 Documents Required for Registration:
- Self-Attestment: Candidates have to download the NC-OBC/SC/ST Certificate, then fill it and get it signed by the required authorities, self-attest it and scan as a PDF document.
- Scanned Signature: A scanned image of the applicant’s signature having the dimensions of 80mm X 35mm is required.
- Scanned Photo: A scanned, recent, colored passport size photograph is required and it must be with dimensions of 35mm X 45mm.
- OBC Certificate: An OBC Certificate is an evidence for one who belongs to a particular caste, especially in case one who belongs to any of the ‘Other Backward Castes’, as specified in the Indian Constitution.
- Format: Both of the above-mentioned documents need to be in a .jpg or .jpeg format and the file size cannot be more than 80kb each. Both images must be clear with a minimum resolution having 150px/inch and if the documents are above the resolution or file size limit then it will not be uploaded to the CAT 2018 website.
- SC-ST certificate: The Scheduled Castes(SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) are different and assigned gatherings of truly distraught individuals in India. The terms are perceived in the Constitution of India and the different gatherings are assigned in one or the other classes.
- PWD Certificate:
- Scribe Educational Qualifications Affidavit (2017):
- The specimen of Candidate Identification Affidavit:
- Final Year Certificate (2017):
CAT 2019 General Instructions to Fill the Application Form:
While filling CAT Application Form 2018, there are certain guidelines that must be followed. Candidates not following the instructions might hamper submission of application form. The general instruction for filling CAT application form are listed below:
- You should use the following versions of web browsers for filling CAT Application Form:
- Internet Explorer (version 11 and above)
- Mozilla Firefox (version 50 to 61)
- Google Chrome (version 50 to 69)
- All the fields which are marked with an * are compulsory. If you leave out any * marked field, your application form will not be submitted.
- After completing one part of the CAT application form you can click on “Save and Continue” to move on to the next section of the CAT Application Form. You can also “Save” and exit at any point and log in later to complete the application.
- You can use the mouse or the touchpad on your laptop to move between two sections. Do not use the tab key.
- If due to any issue you are not able to finish filling your CAT Application Form in one go, you can log in again and finish it.
- Recheck the data filled in various fields before making the payment for the application fee. After payment of application fee, you cannot make any change to the CAT Application Form.
- The CAT 2019 exam fee can be paid via Debit/Credit cards or through internet banking only.
- Candidates will be given their preferred city. In case, they do not get the first preference, the same process will be repeated for the second, third and fourth chosen city and will be allotted with the most preferred CAT 2018 Exam Centres.
- Students will have four options to select the CAT 2019 test cities in order to their preference. Candidates do not have to be in a rush during the preliminary registration days to block slots.
CAT 2019 Application Process:
How to Fill CAT 2019 Application Form:
- Step 1: Log in to the official website.
- Step 2: Click on “Register Now” and create a profile. To fill the CAT application form, Candidates have to register and receive CAT 2019 User ID and Password.
- Step 3: Fill the CAT 2019 Registration form and get the Official login credentials.
- Login Credentials: The CAT 2019 Login Details contains the User ID and Password. With the received credentials, the candidates can log onto the CAT 2019 website. After submitting the Registration form, the candidates will receive their CAT 2019 Login Details on the email address that they have provided.
- Step 4: As modification is not allowed in application form after submission, the candidates should fill in their details with care. Applicants will need to fill the following information:
- Name of the Candidate
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Mobile Number
- Enter the Captcha as displayed in the Captcha box.
- Read the Declaration section and select “I Agree” to proceed to submit the CAT 2019 Application.
- Step 5: On successful login, the candidates will be able to access the CAT 2019 Application Form. The candidates are required to log in through their CAT 2019 Login Credentials and fill the Application Form. Click on “Existing User” button.
- Forgotten Password: If the candidates forget the password, then click on “Forgot Password” to receive a new CAT 2019 password through their CAT registered Email address.
- Step 6: There are five sections in the CAT 2019 form which an applicant is supposed to fill:
- Personal Information
- Work Experience
- Fee Payment: Candidates are not allowed to make any changes in the application after this stage. After paying the CAT 2019 ApplicationFee, the candidates will receive a confirmation e-mail. Here, they can take a printout of the CAT 2019 form or save the file.
- Step 7: Select the CAT 2019 Exam Centre & Program and Submit the form.
CAT 2019 Application Fee Payment Method:
- Fee: A SC/ST /PWD candidate will be charged Rs.900 while an NC-OBC/General candidate will be charged Rs.1800 to take the CAT 2019 examination. The final amount will also include applicable additional charges as per the table below.
- Declaration: In the final section, the Declaration window will appear, tick “I agree” and click on “Submit and Pay” button.
- Online Fee Payment: Make the Payment using a Credit card, Debit card or Net Banking option. Candidate will get Transaction number after the successful transaction of the CAT 2019 Fee. Then the page will redirect to the CAT 2019 official website.
- Confirmation of Fee: You will also receive a confirmation mail stating the successful submission of your application within a few minutes. The email will also contain communication on additional details such as CAT 2019 Admit Card download window.
CAT 2019 Exam Centres:
- Number of Cites: CAT 2019 will be conducted in 138 cities.
|State/UTs||CAT 2018 Cities|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|Jammu & Kashmir||Jammu|